Medicare will only pay for a new wheelchair every five years normally. Of course my chair is only three years old so I figured that the Medicare program would reject my request for a new one. I'm using the wording of my wheelchair was purchased by my father's private insurance so Medicare has never actually bought me one. I do know that Medicare will only pay 80% of the chair if i can get them to approve one. I also know that Medicare won't pay for the standing portion of the chair which is $10,000. So I know I'll owe at least that and the other 20% that Medicare doesn't cover.
I will be trying to raise these funds once I find out a final price on the chair. Monday there is a demo chair coming to my physical therapy for me to try out. I'm very excited about it and I promise there will be pictures of me in it!